Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Year-Beginning Trip of 2016: Pt. 1 - The Flights and Layovers






The tourism portion of my journey started in earnest at 3 P.M., local time in India, on Sunday, January 3rd, 2016, as my Uncle took me on a ride to Bangalore’s (I probably should say Bengaluru, as they have definitely made an increasingly larger effort to use that name) airport. That itself was a change, as the ride that for years was so maddening has now improved with modern roads, an actual working highway cutting down the traffic tremendously. The airport itself has improved as well on the departures side, with more modern shopping and eating areas than they had two years back.

My flight was uneventful to Mumbai, a normal 1.5 hour journey, affixed with a full meal service as per usual on Indian non-low-cost airlines (I had a great meal on Vistara on my journey down to India). My time in Mumbai was eventful, more because it was so long. I arrived in Mumbai at 7:30, and my flight out was at 6:50 AM the next day. That gave me more than enough time to head into ‘town’,  back to Colaba to meet my family. First, though, I had to go to an apartment building I hadn’t been to in 13 years. For reasons not worth getting into, I had to visit what used to be my late Aunt and Uncle’s apartment in Santa Cruz (their kids currently rent it out), and when I stepped into that apartment, somewhat unchanged over 13 years, I was flooded with a rush of emotions.

I then headed to Colaba, reaching by 8:30 to meet my Aunt and Cousin who live there, and have been cameo members of previous vacation reviews, but also my Aunt and her family from Australia (also, oddly, been supporting players in the Australia section of my RTW diary) and my Uncle who was visiting from Boston. It was a semi-family reunion, that lasted till 11:30 when my cousin in India, my two cousins from Australia and I went out to hit the town.

We decided to go up to Lower Parel (staying local would have afforded us just ~30 minutes or so), to the roof-top bar at the St. Regis, which affixes right next to the Phoenix Mall – the fact that each of those places is in an area that 20 years ago was mainly mills is amazing. Sadly for us, the rooftap bar was closed for a private event, so we went just one floor down to essentially the lower floor of the rooftap bar, one with floor-to-ceiling windows showing the Mumbai that hotels like the St. Regis would want you to see, outfit with tall skyscrapers and glittering lights. The bar was empty, with as many waiters and/or DJs as us, making it somewhat our own private event. We stayed there until 2:00 – they said they closed at 3:00.

We were soon enough back in Colaba, with me saying my goodbyes and taking a 3:30 uber to the airport. Mumbai Airport on the departure end is truly beautiful now. It can compete with most international airports of some reknown easily. I spent some time having one last dosa and one last Kingfisher, and before I knew it we were boarding at 6:25… and boarding again three and a half hours later.

Our plane towed away from the gate and taxied normally, but then apparently a flight attendant found a phone underneath a seat. No one sitting in the area claimed the phone to be theirs, and the flight considered this to be a security risk, and therefore went back to the gate. The real strange part about this is not that this happened, but that we wer mostly left in our seats in the dark for about two hours. We finally disembarked at 9:00, and made to all go through security while they sweeped the plane. They claimed the process would take an hour to get back in the plane – instead it took 90 minutes, which was actually less than my expectations. The incident made news in India, but I’m still amazed what made us have to sit on the plane for two hours.

We finally left at 11:00, about four hours late. I finally got to experience Turkish Airlines, and experience it I did. I was somehow put in Economy Plus, and not like I was upgraded at the gate – I was assigned a seat that was naturally in Economy Plus. Turkish’s Economy Plus is basically as good as an average business class. The seats were not lie flat, but pretty close. The TV screens were huge. The legroom and width were amazing. It was a great seat to have to be forced to sit in for two hours. I also give Turkish Airlines a great deal of credit for leaving the entertainment on during that two hour sit on the tarmac, so for those wanting, they could watch a movie.

My one complaint on that first flight was the food, more so because of the timing of the flight necessitates breakfast being the only real meal being served. At its natural time, the flight was supposed to be from 6:50, landing at 10:30 local time. Instead, it was 11:00, landing at 2:30. The breakfast was good, but I’m sure the food would have been better both if the timing was improved, and if we were not on a flight to / from India.

Originally, I had a 13 hour layover in Istanbul, more than enough time to leave the airport and see some of the city. Instead, I had a 9 hour layover. That isn’t bad, but given both the weather (it was raining and 40 degrees), me having already seen the city, and me having a lot of work to do given my foolishly taking the week off, I decided to stay put in the airport. In a way I am happy I did as I had a pretty enjoyable layover. Turkish Airlines has two lounges that anyone can buy a day-pass for. I chose the less expensive option, but for EUR 20 ($23.00), I was able to get a room with nice chairs, free Wi-Fi, free appetizers and free wine or beer. That is actually an amazing deal – one I would recommend anywhere where you have a long layover.

I also wandered to and through the Istanbul airport duty free and restaurant options, both of which are plenty. The airport is quite busy, and getting busier and Turkish tries to make the ME3 (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar) into an ME4, turning Istanbul into more and more of a transit hub. What is interesting is the airport has sacrificed seating space at the gates to make their shopping and eating area just massive and end to end. I had ordered just a couple of kofta kebobs and an Efes beer. Soon enough, it was midnight and boarding time for my flight to Johannesburg.

The flight to Johannesburg sadly was in regular economy, as their A330-300 did not have Economy Plus. I did have the first row in economy so a little extra room. This flight was nine hours (Johannesburg is really far away from everything), and being from their hub, it was slightly better service. They had menus for the food – a small little touch that I love, and the food was overall quite good. They served a nice dinner with beef kebobs, and then a good continental breakfast before we landed. Turkish Airlines didn’t do anything to separate itself, and it is definitely below both Etihad and Emirates for me, but it is a solid airline and one that may be better if I took one of their main routes (like NYC – Istanbul).

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.