Wednesday, June 20, 2012

UEFA EURO 2008 Quarterfinal Picks

Well, the traditional powers did all get through (save for Holland, who basically recreated the French Disaster of 2010 but without a practice coup). There is one true Cinderella in Greece, who is well-versed in this role as they rode that label all the way to the Title in 2004. The other two teams (Czech Republic, Portugal) are both interesting squads who have played better than most expected. Anyway, it's the Euro Cup. It will be fun, and we probably won't get Germany-Italy and Spain-Portugal in the semis.


Czech Republic vs. Portugal

It is rare for a team to lose a game 4-1 and still win their group, but the Czech Republic pulled off that feat (much to my dismay, since I stupidly predicted Russia would make the final). Their team is really not all that good, but I could see them sticking close to Portugal. That said, Portugal has looked far better in this tournament then I ever could have expected. Cristiano had chances in the first two games, but was on fire against Holland. I doubt he'll have as much room to operate against the Czech's as he was against the Dutch, but he is on form right now. Fabio Coentrao has been playing awesome in a pushing-full back role. Helder Postiga has mainly been a mess in front of goal, but overall their counterattack has been mostly lethal. Overall, Portugal might have won in any other group, and should be favored here, and for good reason.




Portugal 2 - Czech Republic 1


Germany vs. Greece

Germany was given one of the hardest groups I have ever seen in any tournament (even considering the Dutch flameout). They didn't lose a game. They never trailed. Their defense has looked good apart from some surprisingly shoddy work defending set-pieces (Nicklas Bendtner destroyed them on set-plays). Their offense has created more chances than maybe any other team, but their finishing hasn't been the best (I'm looking at you, Thomas Muller). I still think they are the team to beat. As far as Greece goes, they are lucky to be here. They caught Russia napping late in the 1st half and that was all they needed to get through. It would be the ultimate Cinderella story for them to knock off the pre-knockout stage favorites, but I think this German team, which in many ways has built to this moment ever since their high-flying run at home in the '06 FIFA World Cup, is ready to finish off what Ballack/Klose/Lehmann and the rest started.



Germany 2 - Greece 0


Spain vs. France

I was ready to buy into France until that soulless performance against Sweden. I know they had little to play for, but to lose 2-0 to a team playing for nothing was strange. France's youth has mostly played well, and Ribery is playing better for France than he has at any point since what basically was his debut in 2006. Spain is good. They've only conceded once. But if Iker doesn't make that point-blank save against Croatia, they are not even playing in this round. If they have to depend on Fernando Torres, they are screwed. This is continuing a theme from April/May where Xavi and Iniesta just are not what they once were. The Spanish defense is not playing up to their cup-winning level. This is a gut-feeling, but I think it ends here. There is also some nice symbolism here with France being the team that knocked Spain out in 2006, starting Spain's glorious run.



France 2 - Spain 1


England vs. Italy

England has really impressed me with their fight and resolve in this tournament. They are playing more competitively than I could have imagined. The youth have really stepped up (Welbeck, Walcott, others) and Steven Gerrard is playing better than he has in years. That said, if there is a team out there that lives off fight and resolve, it is the Azzurri. Andrea Pirlo is making like 2006, and the team as a whole is playing with a lot more offensive flair then I could have imagined. To me, what EURO 2012 will be known for (other than possibly the birth of another European dynasty in Germany this time) is the return of France adn Italy. England is playing over its head, but I feel like Italy is just meeting their actual ability.



Italy 2 - England 1


This sets up Semis of Germany vs Italy and France vs Portugal, which, coincidentally the same matchups as the 2006 Semis. Although I have extolled the virtues of that tournament quite often, I will say that I didn't realize that my picks lent to this particular situation until I just started writing this paragraph.


Enjoy the Games!!

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.