Monday, March 19, 2012

Manning is a Bronco


Just looks weird, doesn't it? Apparently, Manning is planning to wear #16, his college number. The #18 is retired in Denver for Frank Tripucka, although he's said that he's fine with the team unretiring it for Manning.


Well, I never thought that this would happen originally because I thought they were tied to Tebow. I didn't see John Fox, a pretty conservative coach overall, making this decision to cut ties with Tebow. But I'll credit him, and John Elway, for realizing that despite the amount of goodwill the Tebow era, that they could upgrade at QB. Their QB play was, other than at times their defense, the worst part of the 2011 Denver Broncos. That certainly won't be the case in 2012. I'm not sure if I like it for Manning, but it makes a lot of sense.

Personally, the news late last week that the 49ers were one of the three finalists made me giddy. That team has a loaded defense. They have intriguing new WRs with the Mario Manningham and Randy Moss. However, they were in the tougher conference. The NFC is loaded again. Green Bay, New Orleans, and San Francisco were all 13-3 last year. The Bears were 7-3 before Jay Cutler got hurt, and added Brandon Marshall. The Eagles were an 10-6 team that played 8-8 and should be better. The :Lions are on the rise, and the Panthers of 2012 can be the Lions of 2011. Of course, they also have the defending Super Bowl Champion Giants in that conference. Manning avoided that, and gets a conference with an aging Ravens team that lost some players (Ben Grubbs, Jarrett Johnson), an aging Pittsburgh team, New England and Houston. That last team in that list is to me the best team in the AFC if their guys stay healthy. I'll just say that the Denver Broncos will be a good team in 2012.

I just don't know if I could easily be behind the Manning-led Broncos because I hate the Broncos. I'm a Raider fan. They are a huge rival. All the AFC West teams are really equal rivals to each other (something like the NFC East). All of the teams hate each other. I think the Raiders will be competitive in 2012, and could have challenged for that division, but now they are likely the 3rd best team in the AFC West. Unfair to Oakland, but overall, my love for the Raiders will last long beyond 2016, when Manning's deal ends.

As for his fit in Denver. He gets the best o-line he's had since 2007. He gets the best running game that he's had since 2007. He gets a good receiver in Thomas and an up-and-coming receiver in Eric Decker. They Broncos have cap room to go out and sign another receiver (or maybe go out and poach Mike Wallace). The defense is more of an issue. They ended the year nicely (not counting that awful performance in New England). Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil are great young pass rushers. I'm not too well-versed about the rest of their defense (other than Champ Bailey, who's aging but still skilled). Guys like Mark Anderson, Curtis Lofton and Aaron Ross are still available. I don't think they are the favorites in the AFC. I would give that distinction to the Texans and Patriots, but the Steelers, Ravens and now Broncos are right there behind.
It will be an interesting year in the AFC for sure. The conference has been owned by the Patriots, Colts and Steelers for 11 years. Other than the Raiders almost mirage-like Super Bowl appearance in 2002, those teams have won the AFC every year. The Broncos get the chance to break that spell. We know the Colts are done for the next couple years at least. I wish Andrew Luck the best, but the Colts next shot at the playoffs, if they are really good at turning this around, is 2013. The Broncos can win a Super Bowl. Will they? who knows. Will it be fun watching? Definitely.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.